A quick Rhubarb-Orange-Compote
The thing with rhubarb is… Some people can’t stand it and others simply can’t wait for rhubarb season to begin in April. I personally belong to the “Yay it’s rhubarb season” group;-) And that’s for sure!
I guess you can imagine how happy I was last Saturday when I saw the first rhubarb at the weekly market. ♥ Yesssss, I had to buy one. And on the next day I already served my fresh rhubarb-orange compote along with my super fluffy, gluten free pancakes. Divine! Gosh, if you love rhubarb and you haven’t seen it for a year you realize how much you missed it!
1/2 of a small lemon
1 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
3 tablespoons of rice syrup *Optional: Coconut blossom sugar, coconut blossom syrup, apple, or pear syrup*
1/2 teaspoon of carob flour *Optional: Guar gum flour*
- Peel the rhubarb and cut it into 2 cm long pieces.
- Halve and squeeze the orange. Squeeze the lemon and keep the juice.
- Give the star anise and the cinnamon stick into the pot and slightly roast it until you can smell the lovely scent.
- Deglaze with the orange juice and add the rhubarb. Now add the syrup, stir, add some lemon juice and let the compote simmer for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the carob flour *IMPORTANT* it should not clump* Afterwards, turn off the heat.
- Fill the still hot compote into a sterile glas, seal it and store it within the fridge.
Have lots of fun with the preparation.
And if would like to try my fluffy pancakes, here’s the recipe;-)